Friday, October 30, 2009

"I'm Bored"

Why is it that every time I log onto Facebook some teenager has put in a status update which says, "I'm bored"? Even my son is guilty of that on occasion, and I have to wonder why boredom is such a problem for today's youth. Of course, he is quick to tell me that saying "I'm bored" doesn't really mean, "I'm bored." Whatever!

Another mom we know suggested praying about his boredom, and I think she's truly onto something. When we say we're bored, we are making ourselves the center of the problem. After all, if we aren't doing what we want to do, life just doesn't seem quite interesting enough to keep our attention. Isn't it strange that none of the adults I know go around professing to be bored? Hmmm. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

I believe the key to conquering boredom is to begin living for someone other than yourself. The Bible says, "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves" (Philippians 2:3). The Message translates the same verse this way: "Agree with each other, love each other, be deep-spirited friends. Don't push your way to the front; don't sweet-talk your way to the top. Put yourself aside, and help others get ahead. Don't be obsessed with getting your own advantage. Forget yourselves long enough to lend a helping hand."

Next time you are suffering from a case of boredom, change your focus. Instead of complaining about having nothing to do, find something to do for someone else. By making their life a little more enjoyable, you will inadvertently create your own sense of well-being and enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment