Sunday, December 6, 2009

What's the Use?

Many teens (and those who love them, for that matter) wonder, What's the use of a relationship with God? The truth of the matter is that NOTHING on this earth is of more use and benefit than a close walk with God. Trust me, I know. I have tried to live life on my own terms, without God's input. The funny thing, though, is that God was with me all along, allowing me to reap the consequences of my bad choices, grieving over and loving me in spite of them. When I eventually realized that God was right there all along, and that walking in obedience to his Word actually gave me more freedom, not less, then I became intentional in my pursuit of a close relationship with the One who gave his very life to buy my freedom from the death my sins deserved.

Whether or not you want God to be involved in your life, he is. From before the moment you were born (Psalm 139) and through all the length of your days, he is as involved in your life as you want him to be. For some of you, that may mean that you consider his ways and try to honor him in every decision you make and in all that you do. For others, it may mean that you never give God a second thought except, perhaps, on Sundays.

God is not your personal genie but he is the best friend you will ever have, if you will allow him to be. He does not exist to give you everything you want, but to help you want the things he desires for you--his very best. His Holy Spirit is your guide and will keep you walking safely within the boundaries of God's perfect will for your life if you choose to seek and heed his guidance.

If you choose to live fully for God and his purposes, you will no doubt have to give up a few habits and relationships that aren't good for you anyway. But let me tell you, it's so worth the sacrifice. God doesn't ask you to give up anything without giving you something far better in return. In exchange for all the the anxiety, depression, self-hatred, and teenage angst you feel, he will give you an amazing peace you never dreamed you could have. He will love you with a love that no other person can demonstrate for you, and help you see yourself as the apple of his eye (Zechariah 2:8). His amazing grace will carry you through all of life's circumstances, good and bad. His Holy Spirit will strengthen and enable you to do great things for him and to have a significant impact on those in your circle of influence.

Ask yourself the following question: Would I rather stick with the status quo and continue down the path I have chosen for myself, or do I dare to walk in the great adventurous life of abundance that God has chosen for me? Dare to be different. Dare to be changed. Dare to live for God and experience the blessings that can be yours as you surrender your plans in favor of his will for you. Live the adventure -- choose Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment